Energy certificate

The issuance of an Energy Certificate is mandatory whenever the sale or lease of a property is at stake and in the act of signing the respective contracts. If it violates this legal determination, it is subject to a fine of 250 € to 3740 € if it is private and 2500 € to 44 890 € if it is a company.

Certificado Energético

What is the Energy Certificate?

It is a document that classifies the energy performance of a property on a scale ranging from A + to F (class A + corresponds to a very efficient building, and class F to an inefficient building).

Symbols and energy rating scale of a property

This document is issued by authorized technicians from ADENE-Autoridade para Energia and aims to inform the potential buyer of the property about:

  • The overall energy performance of the building , classifying it so that the potential buyer can have a degree of comparison when choosing between properties and at the same time can be aware of the energy consumption that awaits him;
  • Improvement measures that increase energy efficiency, comfort and the eventual reduction of energy consumption, such as: the installation of double glazing or reinforced insulation, among others;
  • The energy consumption characteristics related to air conditioning and hot water, identifying the different components of the buildings, their technical systems, and their energy performance.

This document is valid for 10 years for residential buildings and small commercial and service buildings.In the case of large commercial and service buildings the deadline is:

  • 6 years for SCE certificates issued until April 30, 2015;
  • 8 years for SCE certificates issued after April 30, 2015.

Who should apply

The owner of the property is responsible for energy certification, and the energy class of the building or fraction is mandatory in all advertisements published with a view to its sale or lease.

In the case of a lease or lease, the owner himself is responsible for requesting the energy certification of the property. It is mandatory to make the Energy Certificate available for consultation before the contract is concluded.

Which properties are covered

The properties covered by the National Energy Certification System (SCE) are:

  • All new buildings;
  • All existing buildings for housing or services, whenever there is a commercial transaction, be it sale, lease or lease and before it is advertised, regardless of the medium;
  • All existing buildings subject to major rehabilitation interventions, that is to say interventions in the building's surroundings or technical installations, whose cost is greater than 25% of the building's value, under the conditions defined in its own regulation;
  • Existing commercial and service buildings with a useful floor area of 1000 m2 or more, or 500 m2 in the case of shopping centers, hypermarkets, supermarkets and indoor pools;
  • Buildings that are owned by a public entity and have a useful interior floor area occupied by a public entity and frequently visited by the public over 500 m2.

How to obtain an Energy Certificate

Firstly, it is necessary to choose the Qualified Expert certified by ADENE. If you wish, you can consult me as KW-Keller Williams has a vast knowledge and experience in the area, and I will be able to suggest one of the technicians duly accredited for the purpose, with whom we have more favorable agreements and help you in the processing of the entire process. You can also consult the ADENE database by geographic area, where you will find all the experts operating in the national territory.

ADENE has a document with 10 steps to help you in this process, of which we highlight:

  • Gather all the documentation that was requested before the expert's visit to the property: copy of the property plan, urban building booklet, registration certificate at the conservatory and housing technical file;
  • During the visit of the expert, facilitate access to all areas of the property (including attics, cellars, engine rooms, roofs, balconies, etc.) and question it, especially in terms of possible improvement measures;
  • After the expert's visit, you can request a previous version of the certificate - without legal validity - so that you can validate if the certificate has any incorrect information.
  • If you are not satisfied with the expert's performance, you can file a complaint at the ADENE Customer Service Center.

The deadline for handling the entire process can take 2 to 3 days.

If your house already has an Energy Certificate but it has been lost, you can call ADENE or accessthis page to consult the respective document:

How much does the Energy Certificate cost

The cost of energy certification is divided into two parts:

  • The fees of the Qualified Expert who do not obey a fixed scale and depend on the type and complexity of the building, the number of certificates to be contracted, among other factors. This is the portion that weighs the most in the total cost of the EC.
  • The legal fees referring to the issue of Energy Pre-Certificates (PCE) and Energy Certificates (CE).
    • For residential buildings, these values depend on the type of property and are tabulated as follows:

      • € 28.00 - Typologies T0 and T1;
      • € 40.50 - Typologies T2 and T3;
      • € 55.00 - Typologies T4 and T5;
      • € 65.00 - Typologies T6 or higher.
    • For commercial and service buildings, the registration fee depends on the floor area of the property:
      • € 135.00 - Area of 250 m2 or less;
      • € 350.00 - Area greater than 250 m2 and less than or equal to 500 m2;
      • € 750.00 - Area greater than 500 m2 and less than or equal to 5000 m2;
      • € 950.00 - Area greater than 5000 m2.
    • To these values, VAT is added at the rate in force.

You can be exempt from fees if the building has an energy certificate with less than 10 years, and the measures suggested there were implemented and obtained a minimum rating of B-.

If you want to take advantage of the EDP Comercial campaign (unregulated market), if you are already a customer or request your membership, you can pay the Energy certificate in 12 months, without interest, on the energy bill. 

Edifícios excluídos da aplicação da Certificação Energética

Existem alguns edifícios que podem ser dispensados da emissão de Certificado Energético, dos quais destacamos:

  • Instalações industriais, agrícolas ou pecuárias;
  • Edifícios utilizados como locais de culto ou para atividades religiosas;
  • Edifícios ou frações exclusivamente destinados a armazéns, estacionamento, oficinas e  similares;
  • Edifícios unifamiliares com área útil menor ou igual a 50 m2;
  • Edifícios de comércio e serviços devolutos, até à sua venda ou locação;
  • Edifícios em ruínas;
  • Monumentos e edifícios individualmente classificados ou em vias de classificação, ou ao qual seja reconhecido especial valor arquitetónico ou histórico.
Updated on: 
17. February 2021
1.782 reads

Related articles

Avaliação imobiliária
The real estate appraisal is a process that implies the physical inspection of an appraiser - duly certified professional - to a property, with the purpose of estimating its financial value.

Follow me on Social Media