Located in the far north of the municipality of Lisbon, Carnide is one of the largest parishes in the city, in terms of size and population. Despite being one of the oldest, it was only integrated into the urban perimeter in 1885.
Traditionally rural, it has been involved, in recent years, in the process of urban growth in the capital, in an accelerated and not always uniform and correctly programmed way. It is, therefore, a parish of contrasts – between the old and the new, the old and the modern, the urban and the rural.
Confined to the north and northwest by the traditional limits of the city of Lisbon and to the south by Av. General Norton de Matos (Second Circular), to the west S. Domingos de Benfica and to the east the parish of Lumiar. With 22,415 inhabitants (2011 Census), the parish of Carnide is spread over several districts:
Feira da Luz - Linked to the traditional pilgrimage that took place annually, in September, at the Sanctuary of Nossa Senhora da Luz, the fair was a complement to the religious festivities that lasted several days, attracting many outsiders from the capital and surroundings.Although it can be considered as old as the cult itself and certainly dates back to the Middle Ages, it was during the 16th and 17th centuries that it began to gain greater prominence.
Igreja da Luz - The Church designed by Jerónimo de Ruão in 1575 and completed in 1596 (the year the image was transferred), at the expense of the Infanta Dona Maria, was a vast mannerist temple of Italian influence, with a monumental façade with two floors topped by running balustrade and no turrets. From 1918 onwards, the Church, restored to its current expression, became the seat of the parish of Carnide, replacing that of S. Lourenço. The ruins of the old dependencies were partially demolished, allowing the formation of a small churchyard.
Church of S. Lourenço - The 1755 earthquake left the original church, built in 1342, very ruined and had to be rebuilt again. From the initial period, there are only a few medieval remains integrated in later reconstructions and the spatial structure itself. The post-earthquake reconstruction reintegrated the building, introduced gilded altarpieces on the altars and enriched the tile collection with the placement of new panels depicting the life of the patron Saint Vincent. The works only ended in 1808 with the repair of the churchyard and the placement of the cross.
Convento de Santa Teresa - Located on Rua do Norte, on the outskirts of the old village of Carnide, it was founded in 1642 by Infanta Dona Micaela. It was intended for barefoot Carmelite nuns. With a cloister and a church in a single nave, the facade is sober, but the interiors present exquisite aspects, such as the paintings of the church, attributed to Inácio Oliveira Bernardes and José da Costa Carneiro and the polychrome and blue and white tile panels placed in the 17th and 18th centuries.Contrasting with the austerity of the facade, the interiors have Baroque spaces and decorations. Currently, it works as a home for the elderly.
Convent of S. João da Cruz - Founded in 1681 for Carmelite priests north of the current Largo da Luz, near the Sanctuary, it was a large building that housed 600 residents, including teachers and workers. The Adolfo Coelho Institute is now installed in it. It was also known as the Convento do Carmo de Carnide and, together with the Igreja da Luz, it stood out for its magnificence and volume.
Franciscan Seminars - Acquired by the Franciscan priests from the owner Jacinto José Oliveira, in 1939, it was adapted to the functionality of religious life without losing its personality. The mansion was built in 1878, with a neoclassical façade and exquisitely decorated interiors with naturalist and revivalist motifs, in a romantic exoticism typical of the time. Among the equipment distributed throughout the farm, the former stables with a neo-Gothic façade stand out. In the sixties of our century, the modern chapel was built, based on the project by architect Norberto Correia.
Former Hospital da Luz and current Military College - On the site of the former hospital built to support the pilgrims of the sanctuary in the 16th century, stands today the Military College, installed in the early 19th century. The construction of the hospital was also funded by Infanta Dona Maria, who left assets and income for maintenance in her will. Inaugurated in 1618, like the original hermitage, the first hospital belonged to the Order of Christ, by royal donation from King João III, in 1543. This was the first reception structure for pilgrims and even received patients from the capital affected by epidemics and fevers.
If you wish to buy a house, (apartment, townhouse, a building plot, farm, estate, etc.) in this location, see here the offer that I have available. If you do not find the property you are looking for, please contact me, because the internal network of Keller Williams Portugal has many opportunities that awaits for you and some of them will certainly meet your needs.